Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Virtual Leash

As my co-worker is leaving his desk to run errands he always says to me “I’ll be back. If anybody needs me, I have my leash.” If you didn’t guess it already, the leash he is referring to is his BlackBerry. I use to pay it no attention but, it does prove that we are all being placed on a virtual leash. And the ironic part is that some of us want to be on a leash.

We are all grateful for the advancements in mobile technology and you can’t deny this because most of us keep a cell phone nearby 24/7/365. We have become so dependent on them and their features. We don’t even realize that being connected all the time has it pros and cons. One of my cons is that it distracts me too easily. I often get teased for it, too. No matter what I’m doing if I hear that BlackBerry lightning bolt sound notifying me that I have a new message, I immediately drop everything and rush to my phone.

As for GPS on mobile phones… this is getting too close for comfort, especially when you talk about integrating it with my Facebook account. Being able to know where I am at any time is just too much for me.

The truth of the matter is that I’m going to have to deal with these changes because I can’t give up any of my phone’s features. For example, the other day I got off the bus in a different area of town and was completely lost. I quickly reached in my pocket for my BlackBerry, fired up the GPS, and was on my way.

3 comments:

  1. Manny I'm just as sensitive about people knowing my location as you are. Soon employers are going to be using these GPS applications to get a better understanding of their employees.Those days of calling in sick to go skiing are over. If any employer checks to make sure your home, but sees you 3 hours away in a mountain range, you might as well not show up the next day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These mobile technologies are a blessing and a curse like you mentioned Manny. But I rely on having these technologies to help me in life even though I run the risk of turning into an over compulsive user. The world we live in today doesn't stop and our mobile phones are becoming the main engine -- it's hard to turn off the ignition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phones are definitely leashes. What's worse is that I think everyone (including myself) has expectations now that they should get what they want whenever they want. This includes having people respond to them promptly if they fail to pick up their phone, or via text. I can't help but feel that all this integration is pulling us further into a void of relentless connectivity.

    ReplyDelete