Sunday, February 21, 2010

24/7 Networking

Networking in DC is essential. No matter the situation it’s happening all the time and there is no way to get around it. I love Liz Ryan’s article on the "Top 10 Myths About Networking" because it is so true and on point.

The article starts off saying that it’s all about quality and not quantity. Trying to meet too many people at an event can be dangerous. You run the risk of getting all your facts confused and end up looking like a phony when you can’t recall one thing about a person.

In a world of such advanced mobile technologies we have everything related to work and personal life right at our fingertips. Because of this there is a very fine line, if any at all, between work and personal life nowadays.

This is not a bad thing. We have finally learned how to handle whatever comes our way with little stress. And some even believe it’s better to have a work and personal life that is more integrated together.

Since everything becoming one, we are networking 24/7. I’ve finally dropped all concerns about the “What do you do?” question. It’s just a part of getting to know someone on any level. And no matter if you’re out and about with your significant other you’re always on the lookout for that next job opportunity, or potential new client.

6 comments:

  1. I find myself asking the quantity or quality at the various events that Kogod has. I try to follow the rule of "5", at the smaller events. I try to speak to 5 different people/organizations for 5 minutes. After that, my memory starts to confuse facts, what techniques do you guys use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Jeff. I actually don't have any techniques. Fortunately, I'm able to remember a few key facts about people naturally from general conversation. I'm pretty good with faces, too.

    The most important fact for me is how or where I met someone. Basically, I can see someone I've met, remind them how or where we met and the conversation picks up from there. This is the true story of how I got my first job out of undergrad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ask a lot of questions. I try to make it more about them than me. People like to talk about themselves mostly, so I'll concede that. But when they're all talked out they ask me questions and the tide turns. Works like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Peter on this one. I usually ask the people a lot about themselves because I think that it really gets the conversation going. My problem with networking is that I'm horrible when it comes to remembering names. I can recall everything else but names, i forget every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a different point of view about quality is better than quantity of people you meet.

    The issue you mentioned is that you you can’t recall one thing about a person if you meet too many people. I read an article somewhere that a celebrity in Taiwan can remember almost every person that she ever talks. Imagine how many people she meets everyday but she can still remember each of them. That is her effort to build trust from people and makes her successful.

    So, I still believe that it depends on the person's attitude. If they are sincere when talking or they talk for talking.

    ReplyDelete