Sunday, February 7, 2010

I'm addicted to the Internet.

Hi, my name is Manuel and I’m addicted to the Internet…

I was reading an article by Duncan Riley and another one on NRP’s website, both of which talk about how the Internet is making us stupid. After getting a refresher of the actual definition of stupid from Merriam-Webster, I do not agree the Internet is making us stupid. However, I believe it is turning us into Internet addicts.

The Internet is changing the way we think all together. No longer are we trying to remember facts, figures, or frameworks that are drilled into our minds throughout high school, college, etc. All we need to remember is enough information to type in to the omniscient Google search box. Therefore, we have become addicted the internet as it is needed to carry out any task. I have already used several online resources just to write the first few paragraphs of this post.

Let me share my story on how I became addicted. I was in college struggling with a computer programming assignment. I was almost finished until I ran into a major problem. I had spent hours upon hours going through all of my textbooks but, I didn’t find anything helpful. Finally, I asked a friend for some help and he simply said “Just google it.” From that day on I didn’t work on another programming assignment without Goggle’s home page on standby.

The good part about being addicted to the Internet is that I feel more confident than ever about any task that comes my way. I know that no matter what is being asked of me, I will be able to use the Internet as a starting point.

4 comments:

  1. I think everyone with access to the Internet is guilty of addiction to some extent. It's a great source of knowledge and communication, I just think we all need to stay grounded in reality. I find it weird that parents have to police kids in their own homes nowadays...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha good story Manny.. Don't you feel a little bit incompetent by giving up your own natural resources just to type something in a little box and click search? Don't get my wrong, I use Google more then Larry page and Sergey brin but our results are confined to Google's search algorithms which sometimes aren't exactly aligned with what we are seeking out.. Just a food for thought, don't throw out any of your old books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine if I can't access to the internet only for 1 day. And nowadays I even care if the hotel has internet available when I travel. I check my gmail almost every 10 minutes if I am in front of my laptop, reading online newspaper or journals, and don't even mention that hundreds of time searching through Google search engine each week. Is this normal or abnormal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you a totally right Manny. One of the things that I really like about our MBA program is that we have not been required to memorize formulas, dates, frameworks, etc. In the world that we live in, its unnecessary. Now a days, we don't need to know all of the info you just need to know just enough to find the solution.

    ReplyDelete